Monday, June 16, 2008

THERE IS ALWAYS TOMORROW

"If it were easy, everybody would do it."
Author unknown

Today I decided there can be no more excuses for not training. A moped accident three weeks ago left me with a lot of neck and spinal pain which I have used as an excuse for not training. I have been telling myself for the last week that I need to start back up but everyday, there is always a tomorrow. "I hurt too much today, but I'll run for sure tomorrow." Or "I'm too tired today, but I HAVE to ride after work tomorrow." I tried that riding line today. I did a lot of heavy lifting at work and my back and neck was really hurting. I came home from work and sat down for a little bit. My indoor trainer was staring me in the face and I kept giving myself excuses for not riding today. Tomorrow really sounded better. But a quote popped into my head that I had recently heard.
"Somewhere in the world is someone training when you are not. When you race him, he will win."
I really want to get better in races. I hate being at or near the back of the pack so I forced myself get on my trainer. After 5 minutes I was ready to quit, but I thought of that quote again and told myself I had to stay on for at least 15 minutes. Well 15 minutes arrived, but I told myself that quiting now was just making excuses again. After all, I have always ridden for at least 30 minutes. So I rode for the full 30. It's surprising how hard a bike seat can feel after not riding for 3 weeks.
I feel good that I forced myself to ride. Physically and mentally. It's hard to start back up when you quit. Even if it was only for 3 weeks.
I had planned on running this morning before work but (here's the excuses again) I stayed up too late last night, and then I coughed a lot during the night (don't know why) so I didn't sleep well, BUT, there is always tomorrow.......

4 comments:

Randy said...

Way to be tough and beat your mind into submission. That'll pull you through in a race when you feel like giving up.

ariel said...

hey, we got in ok... at my grandmas house now. thanks for your concern.

you have a nice blog, i need to get mine working better, more pics and everthing... well see ya when i return and let daniel know i said hi.

Emily said...

Hello!
Thanks for popping in to my blog. We do have quite a bit in common!
One other thing we have in common is Hawaii . . we don't live there but it's our favorite place in the world to vacation. We have been there about 5 or 6 times and are heading back to Maui in September.
Blessings to you!

Debbie said...

Good Job On making yourself work hard Karen. I am very proud of you for doing that. I used to do pilates until I had surgery 3 years ago and the doctor said NO Pilates, I don't think he meant to wait three years to get started again. But , you and Randy have given me much needed encouragement. And now even my niece. Kudos to Rebecca. I think I will start pilates tonight at midnight when i get home from work. whoo hoo.!!!