Thursday, June 26, 2008

STILL GOING

"If you can't run, then walk. And if you can't walk, then crawl. Do what you have to do. Just keep moving forward and never, ever give up."
Dean Karnazes, Ultramarathoner


It's amazing how much better you feel when you work out. During the three weeks that I didn't train because of my injury, I was feeling so tired, out of shape and fat. I was just dragging through each day, anxious for it to be over so I could go to bed. For the last two weeks I have been training again, and I feel so good. I have more energy and I feel so much better.
I am trying to get more serious about my training and am doing much more training than I was before my accident. I've doubled my running time every morning and either ride my bike (on my indoor trainer) every day after work or go swimming at the pool. I'm hoping to start riding on the road on Saturdays after Randy and I swim, just to get in some hill training. Plus, it's so hot and boring riding the trainer all the time.
My swimming is getting a lot better but I still have a LONG way to go to do any real triathlons. I really need to work on distance. I'm still really slow too, but I'm hoping with distance will come speed.
My goal is to keep going, even if I don't feel like going. I really want to do the Lavaman next year and hopefully Honu, which means I have a lot of work to do. Right now I feel like my training is just training to get me to where I need to be to really start training.

4 comments:

BreeWee said...

Karen I am so proud of you... I have seen the improvements you've made (I even hear you are better at flip turns than randy!)You can totally do it and Lavaman is so doable! PLEASE let me know if I can help at all... I would love to help write a plan for you for Lavaman... around December is the time to get that going...
See you tomorrow cheering for your family in the run!

Fish has Legs said...

Oh man, youre post MADE me get out the door and do something. You inspire me to GET A MOVE ON. Thanks I needed you today.

I love the quote from that ultrarunner guy. You have a good goal to keep on going when you dont feel like going. I know youll do well at Lavaman and HOnu next year. YOu got that determination.

I swim around 10ish tomorrow morning. Im doing 50 free, 50 fly, and 100 breast. All long course meters. Pain, pain,pain for the 50's.
I heard Oregon's bee-u-tiful. I think Karlyn going to Nationals. We'll see what happens cause I havent trained like how I did in Texas Nationals.
Anyways, have fun training and enjoying Hawaii!!!!

Fish has Legs said...

I meant to say you have a good quote too. Ahhhh...writing to fast!

Debbie said...

Karen you are doing so great . You really know how to persuade your self. I can't wait until the next Lavaman and Honu.!!!!