Saturday, August 2, 2008

ANOTHER WEEK IN PARADISE

This was a busy week for me. Not trainingwise, but daughterwise. Monday and Tuesday I rode my indoor trainer outdoors after work (it's cooler out there). I swam Tuesday and Thursday evenings and that's all the training I had time for.

Rebecca has been so bored lately so Randy and I took her to the pier to watch the boats come in from the billfish tournament. The day before they had caught the second largest billfish in the tournament's 49-year history. Nearly 1,000 pounds of fighting blue marlin. Randy said that they usually weigh their fish in around 4 o'clock so we went down right after I got off work Wednesday. We had to wait almost an hour for the boats to get there. They finally arrived, but no fish. The fish they had caught all day were too small to keep (all under 300 lbs.) so they did the catch, tag and release thing.

Rebecca was so worried about a wasp that kept buzzing around that even if there were any fish, I don't think she would have even watched. So I was surprised when she asked if we could go again the next day.

We arrived at the pier on Thursday around 4 o'clock and this time we didn't have to wait too long for the boats to arrive. But again no fish. That is until the last boat motored up. They weighed in a 388-pound blue marlin. After the tournament that day we met up with Randy on his dinner break and went swimming at the pool. We took family pictures of us in the water to send to Daniel at boot camp.

388-pound blue marlin, one of the fishermen on the Japanese team and Miss Billfish



Rebecca watching the fish weigh-in. There was quite a crowd watching.


Friday when I got home from work Rebecca was waiting outside for me. Before I even turned off my moped she was asking if we could go again. So off we went. This time they had another marlin. It ended up weighing 365 pounds. The same boat also had caught a 123-pound Ahi (yellowfin tuna). I will admit it was pretty fun to watch.

Volunteers hauling off the 365-pound blue marlin. This catch moved Team Malaka, from California, into third place.



Weighing in the 123-pound Ahi, the last fish of the tournament.


I enjoyed a shopping trip Friday night with Rebecca. She bought some new clothes for our trip to San Diego.

I had fun hanging with Rebecca this week but I really have to get more training in next week. I did start out the day today with a 23-mile bike ride and am planning a swim and run for tomorrow morning with Randy, so that should get me off to a good start for another week in paradise.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

There sure is a lot of things to do there. Rebecca looks like she enjoyed your time together. Too bad she couldn't volunteer to help with some little thing there. I need to push a little on my pilates too. Kind of a slacker week here as well.