Sunday, August 17, 2008

TREADMILL TORTURE

Okay, I couldn't keep using my work schedule for an excuse for not to work out so I finally pulled out the treadmill on Wednesday. A few months ago, when I had just starting running, I was using the tready quite a bit. Just thirty minute runs on program one which was plenty hard for me then, but would probably be too easy now.

So, I started out on program two, also a thirty minute workout. It was going well until the speed increased to 5.5 mph. Just as I was barely getting into the groove of it, the tready sped up to 6 mph. For all you runners, running 6 mph. is the norm, but I was holding on for dear life afraid I was going to fall off. Finally I took my hands off thinking that I wouldn't have anything to hold on to if I was running that fast outside, but I had just taken them off when the speed decreased.
The next day at work I was telling a guy who I work with about running 6 mph for maybe five or ten minutes or longer and how hard it was. I told him I really had no idea how long it was but it really felt like at least fifteen minutes.

Thursday after work I jumped on again. It was harder than the day before, but maybe because I had used the indoor trainer for thirty minutes on Wednesday before getting on the tready. My legs weren't stretched out or something because they really hurt this time. Well I got to the 5.5 mph mark and that seemed too fast so I was getting worried about getting up to 6 mph and having to run that fast for five or ten minutes. It finally got there, I had to hold on again but this time I timed how long it lasted. It was a whopping......................................

two minutes. LOL
Slowing down to 4 mph, the light started flashing to pick up the hand weights. It's so hot running in a hot house in hot weather so I sweat really really bad. I had sweat dripping down my arms, down my hands, down the hand weights and every time each arm flung forward on the upswing, sweat would fly off the hand weights and land on the dog which was laying right in front of the tready. He kept giving me funny looks but he didn't move. Crazy dog!!!

I took Friday off but went on a twenty something mile bike ride on Saturday. I didn't push myself hard enough though.

Today, Sunday, I did the Brown Bear Bash and Sunny Sprint with Rebecca. I swam the 200 yard swim with Rebecca on my back and then jogged/walked the 1 mile run with her. To see photos and hear Rebecca's story click here: Rebecca's Page

When we got home I got on the tready again. Program two seemed a little easier. I didn't have to hold on as long. One of these days I'll be able to run 10 minute miles and probably look back and laugh at how hard it was to do just two minutes on the treadmill.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I run 10 minute miles...youll get there for sure.

LeAnn

Debbie said...

Karen I love your story. It made me laugh. You look so good in the picture of you on your treadmill. Your workouts are definetly paying off. I hate sweating like that, I do that all the time at work when I am working freight.Except there's no dog to sweat on.

Debbie said...

Karen I love your story. It made me laugh. You look so good in the picture of you on your treadmill. Your workouts are definetly paying off. I hate sweating like that, I do that all the time at work when I am working freight.Except there's no dog to sweat on.

Fish has Legs said...

I thought about you when I was on the tready today.

Mary Eggers said...

Way to GO KAREN!!!!! You are amazing!!!!!