Saturday, July 19, 2008

TEAM WRIGHTHOUSE - THE BIKE

Today the Wrighthouse family did the Pea/Mango Trash Can Triathlon. Randy did a 1/2 mile swim, I did a 10 mile bike and Rebecca did a 2 mile run.

Randy did great on the swim. I was so impressed with how fast he swam. The end of his race was exciting as he was swimming neck and neck with a man at top speed. They kept knocking into each other trying to beat each other. I enjoyed video taping his swim. For Randy's swim story and video click here: The Kona Life.

Randy told me last night that in the worst case scenario it could take me up to an hour on the bike so I was determined to do it in 30 minutes. That would mean a 20 MPH average. I usually average 15 to 16 MPH so I knew I would need to pick up my speed a notch or two.

The first mile I couldn't get one of my shoes clipped in. I kept slowing way down every time I tried to clip it in. Finally near the end of mile one I got my shoe clipped in and took off on my ride. That's when I realized that in the excitement of video taping Randy at his swim finish, I forgot my helmet. Great. I called Randy, yes I had my cell with me, and told him I forgot it so he brought it to me on the course. Right after I called him a bug or something got in my eye and I realized I forgot my sunglasses also. I guess that transition day I did last week didn't help. I NEED another one.

I passed a racer between mile one and two which made me ride harder so that she wouldn't pass me on the hills (my weakness). At about mile 4 I was passed by a man. Bummer! He's the one who came out of the water the same time as Randy but Randy said the man took awhile in the transition. I sped up hoping to at least keep him in my sight which I did most of the race. I didn't pass anyone else, nor did anyone else pass me.

If anybody knows about horses, they should know what a barn sour horse is. It's a horse that can't wait to get back to the barn when you take them out for a ride. We had a horse like that. On the start of the ride he would plod along so slow. You had to constantly fight with him to get him to speed up, but as soon as you turned around to come home from the ride, watch out. That guy could book. Our daughter, Rachael, had the pleasure of such a ride. Coming home, the horse came tearing down the trail at neck-breaking speed, poor Rachael with a panicked look on her face was holding on for dear life. Anyway, I'm barn sour. I hate the first half of the ride, but as soon as I turn around I book. That's the part of the ride that I enjoy. Only 4miles left. I can do it. 3 miles, almost back to the barn. 2 miles, I still have some energy, I better pick up my speed. Down to the last mile and I really fly. I love it. I'm like that every time I ride, whether racing or training or riding for pleasure. I always enjoy and do better on the way back.

Sometime on the ride back, I think around mile 6 or 7, I was climbing a hill. It was probably the steepest hill on the ride but it really isn't that hard of a hill. I just really need to do hill work. There were no riders around me so I was just peddeling along, wondering if Rebecca was getting impatient waiting for me to get back so she could start her race, and I realized I was only going 12 MPH. That was terrible. I sped up but I think my top speed on the hill was only 15 MPH. Bummer! I was sure that I messed up on my 30 minute goal on that hill.

At about the 9 mile mark, just after I started my fastest speed I could do, a car turned the corner right into my path. He didn't even have his turning blinker on. What an idiot. I had to stop fast or I would have crashed into him. I can't believe the drivers on Alii Drive! Randy said that happened to him one time on a race too.

The race ended up taking me 35 minutes so I didn't beat my goal but I still feel like I had a good ride. I had a lot of fun anyway, and that's what counts.

Sometime during the ride I realized that I didn't even bring my running shoes. Randy and I had planned on running with Rebecca as she pushed herself in her wheelchair. Oh well, there was nothing I could do about it at this point. As soon as I rode up, Rebecca started her race. I loaded my bike in the car, grabbed my slippers (flip flops for you guys on the mainland, excluding LeAnn since she lived here and knows what slippers are) and started running, trying to catch up with Rebecca and Randy. It's hard to run in slippers but I FINALLY caught up with them and enjoyed the rest of the run with them. For Pictures and video of Rebecca's race click here: Rebecca's Page.

Overall, we had a great day. It was a lot of fun and it felt really good doing a race as a family.

3 comments:

Fish has Legs said...

Man...I wish I was in Hawaii. I could of done the whole thing with da family...it will be the wrighthouse family and friend. We could start a new trend wearing 'da rubba slippahs' Way to go Karen! Nice bike time...I better get on my bike now...Im scared of you. Im not a good biker anyways along with running. Blah. I do it for exercise. I cried last night...missing my family and Bree. Im a big baby!!! Hahahaah...asked God to somehow bring me back home for awhile. Later gator...I enjoyed all three posts!!!

Fish has Legs said...

That quote was, uh, really interesting and wierd. Something that I would never think of.

Hows the legs today???

Debbie said...

Karen I am really impressed with your time. Thirty five minutes is great. I bet the next time you race you will forget nothing. Sounds like it was alot of fun and I love how you guys posted your own leg of the whole story.