Saturday, February 21, 2009

RIDING WITH THE WHALES

We've been living on the Big Island of Hawaii for three years and have never seen a whale here until a couple of weeks ago. Now we are seeing them all the time. It's kinda funny that for three years we never saw even one, and now they're everywhere.
Randy and I rode the Lavaman bike course again today. Just under a 25 mile ride with strong headwinds made for another tough ride. I rode it a little faster than last weekend but I still need to ride the course several times more before Lavaman.
Randy and I are both officially signed up now, so I can't slack in my training.
After the turnaround, I started seeing whales jumping out of the water. One whale must have jumped out about eight or nine times and the splash that it created each time it hit the water was incredible. It was so cool that I didn't even realize that I was riding up an uphill until I was about to the top. There were whales all along the coastline, and some of them seemed pretty close to shore. It made a hard ride much more enjoyable.

2 comments:

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) said...

I miss the whales. I did not see them often, but they were certainly a sight. Hope your preparation for Lavaman goes well and that you remain injury-free.

Debbie said...

Wow Whales!! That is really cool. I would love to see them. You should try to video them. Your training sounds complete to me, you are just practicing now. Good luck Karen I know you will do so good.