Saturday, October 11, 2008

2008 IRONMAN WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

There's nothing like watching the Ironman World Championship to motivate you to work harder to be a triathlete. I saw so many athletes competing of all sizes, shapes and ages and even several with disabilities. They were the most motivational of all along with the competitors in there 60's and 70's.

At 18 and the youngest female competitor, our friend from Kona, Ariel Henbest, is just starting the 26.2 mile run after completing the 112 mile bike and 2.4 mile swim.



Lolly Rodgers, age 66, not the oldest, but one of our local girls, says this is her last Ironman. I guess we'll find out next year if that's really true.


One of several of the disabled athletes, Jason Fowler, from Kingston, Mass. Way to go Ironman!!!


Our local beloved pro triathlete, Bree Wee, on the right, is also our local pro on the cheering squad. Here she is cheering on the women's winner World Champion, Chrissie Wellington, of England. Bree is such a motivation to the competing athletes and I know how much they appreciate having her cheer for them. NEXT YEAR BREE! You did great for your first year as a pro and we all love you.

The final three hours of the night, from 9pm to midnight is probably the most exciting. Watching the final athletes cross the finish line, some of them just minutes or seconds from missing their 17 hour deadline, and wondering if your friends will make it in time is both nerve racking and exhilarating. Two people that we were watching for came in in the last fifteen minutes. We didn't know if they had dropped out, or if they were still somewhere out on the course, perhaps miles still from the finish, so it was such a relief to have them come in.
It seems like thousands of people were watching, mostly spectators, but also ironmen that had already completed the course, and the cheering for the competitors is LOUD. We went home for dinner and could hear it from home, just over a mile away.

All in all, we had a great day watching the race. It was a super long day but it was a blast to be a part of such a momentous time in people's lives.

6 comments:

Marilyn and Robert said...

great pix Karen as usual. And speaking of being a motivation I just happen to have a sister-in-law thats exactly that. Thank you so much for all your support to your wacked out sister-in-law love you

Fish has Legs said...

Thanks for the info!!!

Fish has Legs said...

Yeah, I took them. The top picture is the city of West Palm Beach which is about 20-25 minutes where I live and the other picture is just outside of my house on a rainy day. I happened to walk outside and had to run back inside the house to get my camera. The pictures I post is all going to be all mine. I should describe where I took them....whatever. :0)

Did you recover from Ironman? Voluteering is hard work!

Marilyn and Robert said...

one of Roberts jobs cancelled so they get to come home early thank goodness. Its 9:00 here and they are still like 6 hrs away so I guess I will see him in the moerning sometime. But I'm still happy. talk at you later love ya Marilyn

Debbie said...

Marilyn is right Karen you are a very motovational girl. You got me started on my pilates again. So thanks for that.Enjoyed your photos

Mary Eggers said...

Beautiful pictures! Beautiful posts!!!! Did you do Lavaman???